- Switching Devices
You can use the BlackBerry® Desktop Software to switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone. Device data and settings from the previous BlackBerry device, such as email messages, organizer data, and third-party applications that are compatible with the new device, are imported to the new device. If your email account is associated with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, your email settings are also imported to the new device.
Switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone
To switch from one BlackBerry smartphone to another BlackBerry smartphone, complete the following steps:
BlackBerry Desktop Manager 5.0.1
- From the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager main menu, click Device Switch Wizard.
- Click Start.
- Use the cables provided with your BlackBerry smartphones to plug both BlackBerry smartphones into your computer.
- Select the options you want to transfer to the new BlackBerry smartphone.
- Click Next.
BlackBerry Desktop Manager 6.0
- Open the BlackBerry Desktop Software.
- Click Device, then Switch Devices.
- Plug the current (original) BlackBerry smartphone into the computer and complete the Device Switch by clicking Next.
Note: Remember to check the Device Data box to make sure all of the data on the old BlackBerry smartphone is backed up and restored to the new one.
Move the media files on your microSD card to a new BlackBerry smartphone
- Remove the microSD card from the old BlackBerry smartphone.
- Insert the microSD card into the new BlackBerry smartphone.
Move your phone and data service
- Remove the SIM card from the old BlackBerry smartphone.
- Insert the SIM card into the new BlackBerry smartphone.
Switch email service to a new BlackBerry smartphone
- On the Home screen of the new BlackBerry smartphone, click Settings.
- Click Email Settings or Email Accounts. Note: Your wireless service provider might refer to the Email Settings or Email Accounts icon using a different name. The icon for Email Settings is the same.
- Click Yes.
Move social networking applications to a new BlackBerry smartphone
- Launch the Setup application on the new BlackBerry smartphone.
- Click the Social Networking icon.
- Select the applications you want to move and follow the prompts.
Move applications from your old BlackBerry smartphone to your new BlackBerry smartphone
- Launch the BlackBerry App World storefront application on the new BlackBerry smartphone. If you do not see the BlackBerry App World icon on the Home screen, you must download the application.
- Select My World.
- Log in or create a BlackBerry® ID account.
- Follow the prompts to migrate previously purchased apps to the new BlackBerry smartphone
Note: All applications may not be compatible with the new BlackBerry smartphone.
All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners. This site is not endorsed or recommended by any company or organisation mentioned within.