Setting Up Email
- Setting Up Email
The best way to set up your BlackBerry smartphone for email is directly from the BlackBerry smartphone. This method is called "automatic login" and does not require you to remember a user name or password for your BlackBerry® Internet Service (BIS) account. If you want to update your email settings, you simply go to Email Settings or Email Accounts to make the changes.
To set up a personal BlackBerry Internet Service email account using automatic login, complete the following steps:
- Verify that the BlackBerry smartphone is connected to the wireless network by checking the network status indicator. For more information, see the network status indicator table in the Can't Send or Receive Email topic.
- On the Home screen, click the Setup icon.
- Click the E-mail Settings or Email Accounts icon.
Note: Your wireless service provider might refer to the the Email Settings or Email Accounts icon using a different name. The icon for Email Settings is the same.
- Read the Legal Terms and Conditions carefully.
- Select Yes, indicating you have read and understood the license agreement.
- Click I Agree, to be bound by the license agreement and continue with the setup process.
- Follow the screens to set up the email address. In some cases, you might see the following options. If so, select one of the options.
- Internet Mail Account: Use this option to associate the BlackBerry smartphone with one or more existing email accounts (for example, Windows Live Hotmail®) or to create a new email address for the BlackBerry smartphone.
- Enterprise Account: If your IT administrator gave you an enterprise activation password, use this option to associate the BlackBerry smartphone with a work email account using the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.
Test a personal BlackBerry Internet Service email account
You should start receiving email messages within 15 to 20 minutes of adding the email account.
The following items might indicate that the your BlackBerry Internet Service email account was added successfully:
- After a BlackBerry Internet Service email account is successfully added, a confirmation window appears.
- Check to see if there is a new email address icon on the Home screen.
- Check for a welcome email message.
- View the account in Email Settings to make sure all the information is correctly set up.
The only way to confirm, with 100% certainty, that the BlackBerry Internet Service email account is completely and correctly set up is to send an email message to the added email address. The email message should be delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone within 15 to 20 minutes of sending the email message.
To view and manage email messages, on the Home screen, click the Messages icon.
Adding an Email Address to Your BlackBerry Internet Service Account
All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners. This site is not endorsed or recommended by any company or organisation mentioned within.