- Charging Times
- Charge times will depend on the BlackBerry® smartphone being charged and what power source is charging it. BlackBerry smartphones come with lithium-ion batteries, which should be kept topped up regularly. Many factors affect the length of time the battery can operate before recharging, such as the amount it is used, the applications that are running, the brightness of the screen and even the volume of the ringer.
- When the BlackBerry smartphone is plugged into a computer with the correct USB drivers installed, it will charge approximately five times faster than when plugged into a computer without the correct drivers installed.
- A travel charger charges a BlackBerry smartphone at a rate equivalent to or higher than a computer with the appropriate USB drivers installed. Using a travel charger that is plugged into a wall is the fastest way to charge a BlackBerry smartphone.
- It is important to charge each BlackBerry battery with the correct charger. Each travel charger for a BlackBerry smartphone is designed to charge a specific type of BlackBerry battery. For example, only charge C-Series batteries with the BlackBerry C-Series Battery Charger.
- The front label on the battery displays a letter (such as "C-") and the battery model number. This will help make sure you are using the correct battery type with the correct travel charger for a BlackBerry smartphone.
How to maximize battery life
See Maximizing Battery Performance topic
Update the BlackBerry Device Software
You can download the latest version of Blackberry Device Software from www.blackberry.com/update. Follow the instructions on the screen to download the latest version currently available from your wireless service provider.
Industry standard smartphone charging recommendations
Recharge according to usage pattern to maximize battery life.
Recharge the battery every 18 hours if you
- Read/send more than 100 emails, BlackBerry® Instant Messenger messages or text messages per day
- Talk for more than 50 minutes per day
- Browse the Internet, use an application or play a game for more than 10 minutes per day
Recharge the battery every 24 hours if you:
- Read/send 50-99 emails, BlackBerry Instant Messenger messages or text messages per day
- Talk for 20-50 minutes per day
- Browse the Internet, use an application or play a game for 5-10 minutes per day
Recharge the battery every 36 hours if you:
- Read/send less than 50 emails, BlackBerry Instant Messenger messages or text messages per day
- Talk, for less than 20 minutes per day
- Browse the Internet, use an application or play a game for less than 5 minutes per day
Using and caring for BlackBerry smartphone batteries
- Charge the BlackBerry smartphone using only the charging accessories and lithium-ion battery specified for use with your particular BlackBerry smartphone model.
- Do not use counterfeit battery packs on BlackBerry smartphones.
- Do not expose the battery pack to extreme temperatures during operation.
- To optimize the energy and cycle life of the battery, it is best to charge the battery as often as possible.
- Batteries are meant to be easily inserted into the BlackBerry smartphone or chargers in only one way. Do not force the battery into the BlackBerry smartphone as this may cause permanent mechanical damage. If the battery appears to require excessive force to insert into a BlackBerry smartphone or external charger, please check that it is not being inserted the wrong way.
- Do not expose the battery pack to liquid.
Battery power indicator
The battery power indicator displays the amount of power remaining in the battery.
- When the battery is charging, a power symbol appears next to the battery indicator.
- At 20% power remaining, the BlackBerry smartphone displays an amber battery indicator.
- At 10% power remaining, the BlackBerry smartphone displays a red battery indicator
The LED on a travel charger for a BlackBerry smartphone displays different colors to indicate the status of the battery.
LED color description
No battery is inserted for charging
A battery is inserted and charging
A battery is inserted and charged
The travelcharger for a BlackBerry smartphone is operating above normal operatingtemperature. The battery is not charging.
Important: Unplug the travelcharger for a BlackBerry smartphone for 10-20 minutes and then resumecharging. Make sure that the voltage of the wall outlet matches the voltagestipulated by the travel charger for the BlackBerry smartphone.
The travelcharger for a BlackBerry smartphone does not recognize the battery or anothercharging error has occurred.
BlackBerry smartphone batteries
All trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners. This site is not endorsed or recommended by any company or organisation mentioned within.